Saturday, July 13, 2013

Fire and Ice

   I remember standing outside that night after completing a vehicle's document inspection. It was - 80 degrees F, no wind, and the endless Arctic night had been clear for some time.
   Was.
   While outside, the skies had begun to come to life. Tired of the apathetic demeanor enforced by their frozen environment, they decided it was time to throw off the chilling countenance of the evening in a dazzling display of brilliance. When I turned to retrace my duty post, I was wonderfully spellbound by a sight that, though so familiar, has never ceased to fascinate me. The Aurora Borialis had trumped by far the Arctic evening's entertainment.
   And was doing a spectacular job of it.
   That wondrous display of sparkling, dancing colors has etched itself in the gallery of my memories, even along with the other events of my emancipating seclusion there. So it was not a surprise to me, that as I reflected on Solus in his Arctic environment, and Kola standing on the Bridge of his People's Transport Starship while orbiting a war torn Earth ("Lightship", Amazon.com), I could see them there as I wrote. The memories were a flooding relief, and the writing became an open gate from which the elation could illuminate my struggling hopes. The landscape of diamonds glistening across crystal snows enveloped me, and I was in a world free of the crushing demands of the present difficulties. Only for a moment, only a glimpse, but still there, whenever I needed the reprieve.
   I could appreciate how Solus felt with my view from below, but I had a special opportunity present itself over a year ago, allowing me to see that same wonderful display from Kola's viewpoint, as he would have seen those lively, dancing lights while orbiting earth. Thanks to the generousity of the International Space Station, they have offered for public perusal a view of our Home from their orbit - right through, as the last segment shows, a beautiful display of the Northern Lights. Whenever I struggled to capture in words what "Lightship" needed to say, I would play this back again. It takes me home, to a world beyond ourselves, and into the hope we believe. And in so doing, we create our realities.
   -WKD

2 comments:

  1. absolutely breathtaking!! So amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mariah - I really owe this opportunity to my wonderful Sister Nancy, in Homer, Alaska, who sent me the notice of this film. I would not have known of it without her faithful, and very consistant generousity.
    Kim and I watched it, and we read your review, together - this is the first time she's been able to read the blog, since her I-Pad went on the blink. We both want to thank you for your kind support, and that of your wonderful family.
    -WKD

    ReplyDelete