Thursday, July 11, 2013

Decisions...

Peter Semotiuk has been referred to as the Voice of the Arctic, and the Watchdog of the North. We have never met except by our conversations over the phone and mail, but during those years I have come to respect him. He's polite, but there's no nonsense in him. The Arctic is his life, and he knows better than to take any venture coming into his regions lightly.
   After coming back from my second venture to Tuk, he and I were engaged in a conversation about my experiences, and he asked the question, "Bill, are you coming back?" I told him I knew I would be, it would take a bit to rebuild myself so I could return, but I loved the Arctic and there was no way I could stay away for long. I knew I would return. he listened politely, then replied simply, "That's good."
   We discussed the ways of traversing the passages, my favor for the Kayaq still overriding any modern means of coming through, to which he agreed. It was the best way to come through and really gain a feel for the Arctic. Every other means just passes by, without being the Arctic. It. I realized to him, was the difference between being a passenger, and experiencing the life.
   I couldn't agree more. Neither would have Vicki Jason, who struggled through considerable hardship to cover the first part of her trip, then returned and finished with solid common sense and vigor. She, too, as her family, were wonderful examples of that Spirit of respect that a sense of that wilderness engenders within the soul. As has been said of Alaska, there's no middle ground. You either respect its ways and love it, or fight and hate it.
   It was a heartbreak to learn that the woman that had been so encouraging to us had passed away. I only knew that cheerful voice on the phone, and never had the chance to finally meet her personally. I don't want to endure that same sadness with Peter.
   I know that all I would have to do is start. He'll know.
   The Tundra Telegraph will do the rest.
   -WKD

No comments:

Post a Comment