Saturday, July 6, 2013

Advance Warning

   I watched Greenpeace lose their grip, from my vantage on Collison Point, as they tried to clash with the Arco tugs pulling their Drilling Platform into place that August day in 1997. Then a few days later, I watched again as man learned how puny he is to the advance of nature itself.
   I awoke to take care of my camp, and noticed that the top of the Brooks Range was covered in snow. The next day, it was on the foothills, and the third day, I was paddling in it. The weather moves fast in the Arctic, and if you fail to take that into consideration, if you do not watch all that goes on around you, the consequences can be less than pleasant. Here we are not in control, and as mentioned before, we are not on top of the food chain.
   The beauty of the Arctic is in it's raw discipline. You move with the rhythm of the land, and she in turn moves with you. That's the way it is - no hype can cover for the honesty in her ways. She has nothing to hide, and no reason to. I've seen that in some of the blazing beauty of the frozen waterways, and the stark landscape of her sobering winter artistry...

Beckoning...
Amber Fire radiant through
                          Sparkling Crystal Lace;
Brilliant the Morning when it comes, stealthy in It's own
                                                                       Time and Space
to Define the Virgin Majesty of
                                          peopled shrubs and whithered trees,
Bowed in frosted subjection, while robed serene to the Soul's awakening
                                                                                                                                      into a
Diamond Eternity...
                           Together.


   So it is.
   And was, as it turned out, the harald of the storm to come, and which welcomed me into Kaktovik.
   Into the second stage of the journey...and new life.
-WKD
                                         

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mr D.
    I finally got to read your blog and I really enjoy it and I look forward to reading more. Caleb is almost done reading your book and I am anxious to read that, too. Noah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Noah! I've enjoyed your company and your Family, and look forward to the continuing journey through the Arctic blog - And the Lightship saga! My best to you and Caleb!
    -WKD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing read!! Very fun to be able to share via your words this part of your life. Rarely does one come across a wordsmith who can paint such a vivid environment. I'm hooked !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bishop; I owe this to you - it was your council that I develop this for others. I hope to give something of where I've been for others to build on. And let them live their dreams into reality. Which is what wrote "Lightship" to begin with!
      Thank You again for the wonderful support of your entire family. It's amazing what we can do, when we believe in the best for each other!
      -WKD

      Delete